Tuesday, April 26, 2011

To Pickle Or Not To Pickle

I was kind of uncomfortable to go to McDonald's and order a McGangbang. So I’ve decided to go with pickles. A week ago I went to McDonald's at 9:30 and was kindly asked to come back later, because they were serving breakfast – who would know?! Not a regular any fast food customer I was pleasantly surprised by this discovery, and went home empty handed that day. As the due day was approaching I was getting more and more anxious about the project, so I took a trip to the same McDonald's restaurant, which is located in Bay Ridge Brooklyn. I was hoping to avoid the crowd after work, but by the time I got to the restaurant it was busy, so I took the line anyway. When the young girl call for next customer I stepped up and took my phone out of the pocket so I could find the exact instructions for the project. She took my order without even blinking, not even after I requested to have a receipt that reflected my entire order with all extra wishes. Then she excused herself and stepped to the “kitchen” where she was asking if guys can manage to insert some extra pickles into my burger and she came backed seemed satisfied with an answer. On a way back she asked a girl who was on a frying machine to get her small unsalted order of well done fries.
After I exchanged my money for the receipt I took a step aside so I could see what my girl will be doing to complete my order. She stepped back to the kitchen area again and it took her 3 minutes to comeback with the small package in her hand, not sure what she was doing there but it seems that there was a group of people deciding on how to arrange pickles. While she was gone I was monitoring a girl who was in charge of the frying machine. She was making new fries so I can have it unsalted, despite the fact that while I was about to place my order she finished making it. So she took fries out of oil and she absolutely forgot what my girl have asked her and she put salt on everything again.
“Thank is nice!” – I thought to myself, “Will they give me salted fries pretending it is unsalted, or they will fry another pack of potatoes?” Then I saw an alder woman coming to me and asking me what was I waiting for, and I told her pointing on my girl that she got my order. She smiled to me and went back to serving next customer. I took a look at my watch – seven minutes have past since the moment of my order, not very impressive for a fast food restaurant. When my girl was asking for the unsalted French fries small order they both realized that they have to make more fries to complete my order. Only after this my girl came by and apologies for the delay, and explained what I was observing all this time. Two or three minutes later the older woman asked my girl why I am still waiting and I was very pleased with her concern.
Fourteen minutes later I received my order and more apologies for waiting. I can say that my overall experience with McDonald’s service was not negative at all; nevertheless the waiting time was not acceptable for a fast food restaurant. My order was exactly what I’ve requested it to be – my fries was unsalted and my pickles were arranged in a pretty flower pattern. Even though I am not a fan of a burgers in general and I have no one to share it with I placed it straight to the garbage bin, but I did enjoy the fries which I had to sprinkle with some sea salt at home.
While I was waiting for my order I noticed that some people from personnel were constantly going to the “kitchen” area to ask some specifics about orders they were placing. Were they checking on a kitchen staff handling their orders or just checking if they have specific food for serving I am not sure, but there was a constant collaboration among everyone within personnel of that restaurant. The place was very clean and brightly lit. I also saw one manager briefly walked around to check on everyone, but no one seemed to paid attention to him since there were lots of people in lines. Everyone who was taking orders looked very attentive to their customers and smiled, which I think is not really common in fast food, which game an impression that good training made it happen.

And this is my actual small hamburger, it didn't look very edible to me.

2 comments:

  1. I was kinda exciting when I got the assignment. I am a bit regret to actually did not take the GangBang, since I feel its such an entertainment to see people get confused about what they never expected. However, I experience the same that cashier actually have to go back and forth to solve the problem without using walky-talky, which is rather well developed these days. Guess it may deal with their tight budget which may reflect on their salaries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maryna, after I read your blog on our extra credit assignment, first thing what came into my mind was, how lucky I was. You will know what I mean if you read my blog. To tell the truth, I also was very nervous to go to McD and ask for something that was not on their menu. At some point I even felt guilty. But nevertheless, no matter what we did it. Let me tell you it was very interesting. This assignment made me remember how I did a test call to my employees, to see how they deal in sertain situations. I loved this experience. So congratulations, once again!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete