Monday, February 14, 2011

Blog Topic #1: Culture Shock - How I've met PJ's

  I came to United States 9 years ago and since then I have traveled through out Europe couple of times. Being born and raised in one country and come to stay in another country is always going to impact the view of the country, and change you as well.
  I have a friend in Ukraine who has to dress up and wear make-up before going to the store. Not all women do this but the prevailing  majority. People expect you to look good no matter where you go. But when I was walking streets of Brooklyn I saw women not only having no make-up at all but they were wearing pajama pants. Let me note that I don't judge, I've always felt that people should do what they pleased to do the most, but when I told my friend about it she was stunned. I mostly felt that Americans just enjoying their lives and feel more free. Sometimes I do not have time or desire to put make up on, and I do not like make-up, but i still feel a little guilty for not doing it, i guess it is a cultural guilt.
 Someone mentioned in class that it is not recommended to look people in the eyes, that it is not safe. I could argue to that – I have no problem to look at people eyes in New York. I would probably be more scared to look at someone’s eyes in Russia or Ukraine. When I look at people they just smile to me. Or maybe it depends on the face expression you have at the moment.
 A negative moment is that people do not offer their seats to pregnant and elderly on the subway or bus, though it is highly encouraged right now. I do not remember seeing someone in my native country sitting on a bus or train and having grandmother standing next to that person. There was always someone who would get up to offer a seat.

5 comments:

  1. Hi: Look at people's eyes as much as you can ..but put in mind you will not find any trouble doing that because you are a woman and it may interpret in many way ..however, there is nothing better than a natural face ...make up may add some beauty to a woman in short time..but it will reverse the purpose as she is getting old ...
    ..welcome to New York :-)) : ..because no one cares ..that's why no one offers his/her seat to others who really need it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi...
    In korea, I can't imagine that i walk along on the street with wearing pajama pants. We also expect our to look good no matter where we go. When i came to NY, I was not familiar with this situation but I love the NY's life nobody cares. Also, I can feel more free.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have lived in the U.S. my whole life so i dont have a perspective from another country but I think not being obligated to look a certain way all the time is a great thing, because like you said there are sometimes were you dont feel like dressing up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought it was interesting what you wrote about Ukrainian women versus American women. I never really gave the idea of my attire in public much thought. If I'm running a quick errand outside or going to the grocery store, I don't think to put on makeup or dress nice. It's amazing how this stuck out to you when observing America. I would have never known about this outlook if i hadn't read your blog. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete